Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review: Kate Spade Twirl



This perfume was first mentioned back in August 2011 when I received it as a sample in my first Birchbox, and I have been in love with it ever since. I was so much in love that come Christmas I bought it for myself with my Christmas money and have never regretted the purchase (especially since I bought it suuuper cheap in a set that was on sale that I paid for mostly with giftcards, heck yes!).

Why: I originally was intrigued by this perfume when I got it in my first Birchbox ever, and I will admit that description had me hooked before I even smelled it. Then when I smelled it I couldn't get enough of it! What I loved about the description was that it said it was kind of a modern "Holly Golightly" scent, which is the name of the girl in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I have always loved that movie and semi want to be Holly Golightly, haha, so I really wanted to love the fragrance just knowing that. Then when I smelled that it was a fruity floral that is kind of cirtus-y, I was doubly sold because that is the kind of scents that I love! Had it been a sweet fruity floral I might not have enjoyed it so much.

This fragrance also has some personal meaning to me beyond the Holly Golightly-ness because I bought it at a time where I was going through quite a few personal things, and trying to figure out what kind of person I was, blah blah blah, which probably sounds cliche, but it was true. 2011 was a hard year for me, and I don't know if this will sound whiny or stupid, but I had a lot of bad experiences with men last year, and I learned a lot of things about myself because of it, and in December was when I was really learning from it all and I emerged with an identity that I don't need men, but of course don't hate them. What I really did was redefine my values and gained the strength and confidence to stick with them rather than abandoning who I am as a person just to be a guy to have a man in my life even if it felt like settling. So when 2012 began, me and this perfume became best buds and it kind of stands for my new "Miss Independent" identity and whenever I spray it on it kind of serves as a reminder to not forget all the things that I learned.

Notes: The Kate Spade official description says there are notes of watermelon, blackberry, red currant, musk, and french macaroon. I think this makes it sound sweeter than it really is. I think the top notes have more of a fresh orange and blackberry smell that turns more musky and mature as it ages through the day. When this is described as day-to-night fragrance I do think it is true because it has a lighter funner fragrance at the start and ends more sultry by the night.

Repurchase: Would I buy this again when I run out? I can't really say for sure at this point because I don't know where I will be in life when it runs out. Depending on where that is my identity might be calling for a new fragrance friend that identifies with who I am then. But I will always have a place for this in my heart :) What is probably more likely is that after I use up this big bottle I will probably purchase the little roller ball version so I have it around, but my next full bottle purchase will probably be something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment